Mold is likely a topic you don’t think about much. But, when mold is left untreated, it can wreak havoc on your family’s health, your home’s structure, appearance, and value. In this post, we’ll go over some of the most common signs that it’s time for a mold inspection.
What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus. Mold is a small organism that can be black, white, orange, green, or purple and live almost anywhere indoors and outside. Mold thrives in moisture. We are exposed to mold everyday. In small amounts, mold is harmless. But, when mold gets in our homes and we breathe it in day after day, it can lead to serious health consequences.
Signs of water damage are also signs; it’s time to get your home inspected for mold. Without moisture, mold can’t grow. Therefore, if you notice water damage on your home, you must act quickly to find the source and make the necessary repairs while also scheduling a mold inspection. You have to act ASAP because when left unattended, mold can grow and spread fast. In fact, mold can start growing as soon as 24 to 48 hours after water damage.
Nobody likes a leaky faucet, but this should motivate you to fix yours: when left alone too long, leaky faucets and other household items can quickly become a breeding ground for mold. The mold will quickly spread from the source of the leak, into the air condition systems and throughout the entire house.
Common sources of water leaks include:
- Leaking water pipes
- Leaking water heater
- Washing machine hoses
- Leaking garbage disposal
- Leaking sink pipes
- Leaking toilet
- Leaking faucet
- Leaking tub
- Leaking shower
We are no strangers to humidity in Tennessee. Unfortunately, you must keep the humidity levels in your home in check, or it can lead to some serious damage and mold.
Humidity levels spike from:
- Combustion appliances ie. The stove
- Moisture-generating appliances ie. dryers
- Steam radiators
To prevent your home from becoming too humid:
- Install and run exhaust fans in the bathrooms and kitchens
- Keep air ducts clean and in good shape
- Use a dehumidifier
- Reduce clutter and keep furniture away from walls to improve airflow
- Open the windows when the weather allows
If you start to notice a musty, moldy smell at home, it’s time for a mild inspection. If your home gets all musty and moldy smelling, especially after a heavy rain, it’s a sign that something is amiss. These smells typically occur as a result of mold and/or mildew.
If your home was recently involved in a flood, there’s a massive change your home is growing mold.
Your family members are experiencing symptoms
If your family members start to experience any of the following symptoms of mold exposure, it’s time for a mold inspection:
- Sneezing and sneezing fits
- Sore throat
- Respiratory problems, such as chest tightness, difficulty breathing, wheezing
- Nasal and sinus congestion, runny nose
The most toxic form of mold is black mold; the following symptoms are associated with black mold exposure:
- Skin inflammation
- Respiratory problems
- Mental impairment
- Internal organs damage
- Immune system suppression
Sometimes you may see mold around your house. When this happens, even if you are not 100 percent sure that it is mold, contact a mold specialist for a mold inspection.
What is a mold inspection?
During a mold inspection, a mold specialist will inspect and process your home to check for signs of a mold infestation. If you live in an overly humid area, have a basement, or your home is old, mold inspections are vital to the health of your home and family.
If you suspect you have mold in your house, please reach out to us today. We offer expert mold remediation services to get your home back in tip-top shape and keep your family healthy at home.
Share this Post
Discover practical solutions, innovative techniques, and the latest industry news to create a healthier and fresher environment for you and your loved ones.